« Open House! | Main | Come and celebrate Homecoming! »

Colleges and Universities eliminate the SAT?

A few nights ago, I was watching NBC News and I couldn’t help but be intrigued by this topic. They were debating if the SAT is that crucial to the admissions process. They also dramatized this by saying that the SAT could ultimately make or break a student getting into college.

It was stated that a junior in high school, like many of you, was enrolled in a 36 hour prep course to prepare for the SAT which ending up costing them $1,000! I couldn’t believe it! All of this money spent on one test? When you graduate from college and have a job, will it really matter to your employer what you got on the SAT…hmm. What I would hope that students do is try their best and be happy with that. There are a lot of stressors in this world, don’t let the SAT be one of them. Trust me.

To date, “More than 700 have done it so far (making the SAT optional), including 13 more this year, mostly small liberal arts colleges”. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14927312/

I hope that I am speaking on behalf of most Admissions Counselor…we are looking at your high school career to tell us how you may do in college, not just at the SAT score.
To see the complete artice:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14927312/

Posted by AshleyHoffman at September 25, 2006 8:32 PM

I caught that the other night too on TV... I'm so glad to hear that colleges are not relying so heavily on SAT scores... and you're right Ashley, emphasis should be put on the highschool student's career...and as for that $1,000? That's CRAZY!

Comment by: Mel Whiteman at September 27, 2006 10:13 PM

its not such a bad idea, $1000 is quit a lot for an exam... i think its due to all that pressure put on students..

Comment by: Simon at October 20, 2006 10:30 PM

My daughter is trying to enroll in a nursing program. She has been told by 2 universities that her SAT scores do not meet the requirement. She has a 4.0 for her Junior year, a 3.3 overall 9 - 11, The 1st weeks of her senior year a 3.8. She has a 2 page resume of all her achievements and accomplishments and her activities in and out of school. Does this sound familiar to anyone. She has taken the SAT's 2 times and just can't get her scores up high enough. I just think colleges need to rethink this entire process.

Comment by: Beth at November 6, 2006 12:57 PM

oh man
I hate SAT
It should be eliminated.

Comment by: teddy at November 7, 2006 3:27 AM

I agree that the SAT is a bit strenuous and the pressure it puts on students and their parents is insane. I can only encourage from my stand point, for students to try the SAT and the ACT. The SAT is based on your potential of learning and the ACT based on what you might already know. I have known a lot of students feel more comfortable taking the ACT and in result the do much better. Check out their website! This may help! www.actstudent.org.
I don't forsee the SAT going anywhere soon, so give the ACT a try.

Comment by: Ashley at November 7, 2006 12:22 PM

What everyone needs to consider is the inequality of highschool grades. I have seen college applicant transcripts with a grade of 98% in a class called "advanced algebra", but the same student has a 350 on the math SAT (out of 800). Call me crazy, but if you can essentially ace "advanced algebra" then you should get AT LEAST a 500 on the math SAT. No standardized test is perfect (the SAT has been even called discriminatory), but no standard is probably worse.

Comment by: jerry at March 30, 2007 12:18 PM