Smile :) Or Frown :(

I agree with Falhman about smilies or emoticons helping people to understand what is serious and what is not on the internet because we can't see people's expressions or hear their tones, but only for internet use. For something that can be seen and responded to immeditly, they can and should use smilies to show the degree of seriousness. But, they shouldn't be used in works of literature.

However, I do like how certain companies have changes the emoticons into something more. I like the actual winking, moving faces. And, these faces can be even more personalized now with different colors and expressions. But, these faces are starting to become over-the-top with too many smilies so much so that some are losing their signifigance. Like how "lol" has become overused.

I also think it is cool that the inventor of the smilie could show proof. Tha's really creative.

As for the next article, I don't have much to say about it. Some of the points I find in his work are valid like hackers and very literate people being the first to start onto the internet, who look down on or don't need emoticons. But, it mentions usenet and a variety of words that I do not understand again so I can't comment much. I am glad that he changed his mind about smilies though and lightened up. 

Aja, Usenet was a collection of what you might think of e-mail discussions, sort of like a Facebook wall that anybody could post on, and anybody could see. It was an early form of internet communications, before the graphical web browsers and HTML. I discussed my first foray into this corner of cyberspace in the "Clueless Usenet Newbie" article from a few weeks ago.

Jackie Johns said:

The move from basic smiley to the super-smiley that winks, sings, changes color and whatever else is an interesting development. I think it’s just another small step in the constant changes of online communication. On a smaller scale, we are now getting frustrated with fancy smiley just like Stephenson & others were frustrated with original smiley.

Hmmm...lol has become very overused. I find my self putting that in texts or on AOL conversations just as filler because what else should I put. Like lol now stands for more than just laugh out loud.

I'm actually annoyed with the new smileys because they are so obnoxious. They're in your face about their presence and it's just annoying. Like, honestly, why does it take up my screen when someone puts one in an AOL conversation now? (Maybe it's just because it's the updated version of instant messenger) but gosh, leave me alone super-smiley.

Daniella Choynowski said:

I have noticed that the abrreviations have entered normal conversation. Someone the other day said "he rotfled" (rot-fulled). It took me a little bit to realize that the person was making a reference to ROTFL.

From my understanding of the usenet article we read, usenet began as an academic forum, which makes me think that people were trying to sound intelligent. But like I said in my response blog, when a more and more diverse audience begins using something, the original intent gets exploited.

The word "overkill" comes to mind.