The Propaganda Man

Whoa! Finally, something interesting to read. After, nearly an hour of sifting through the chapter seven, I found some knowledge that I've actually retained and enjoyed reading. Propaganda.

Now, don't get me wrong. I was slightly interested to learn about the different types of blogs and how to write them, but it was the same bottom line: Appeal to the audience, orientation, information, and action. The resume seems like something cool to do, but I don't have that many credentials now to make it full and promising.

In chapter 8, I was able to reflect on the types of persuasions I use in my writing and see how they will either attract or distract my users. Then, I really digested the types of propaganda. I first learned that word in elementary school and it was flushed out in middle and high school, but until now I had little idea how it was used and that their were different types.

I mean, I knew that it was used by mass media to persuade the public about certain topics, but I didn't know it could be good or that their was black propaganda. Black propaganda is still new to me so I'm not quite sure if I understand what it is.

I also was happy to find that I could identify some of the myths and was interested to find some ideas like Martyr and real woman were propaganda myths. Maybe I should get into the propaganda business since I'm so interested. Only I'm not quite sure what I'd advocate yet.

Jackie Johns said:

Like you, I was attracted to this section on propaganda. I think propaganda gets a bad reputation (or as Kilian would say, it's a "snarl" word) and people are often taught only about its misuses. My own ideas about propaganda were pretty murky before reading this chapter, and if anything they'd err on the side of the negative. But propaganda techniques can be good or bad depending on how you use them, I guess.

Jed Fetterman said:

If you are unscrupulous like me, you could advocate whatever the highest bidder tells you to.
Your blog made me wonder why I have not been taught about persuasion in any depth until I came here. If you want a conspiracy theory, look no further. If you wait until someone is twenty to expose them to the elements of persuasion and propaganda, you can persuade them to believe your ideas to such an extent that they cannot fight back with their new knowledge. You could make groups of people totally maleable to the effects of marketers and politicians. I guess that is why there is such a debate about having Coke machines in elementary schools.

Daniella Choynowski said:

If you're a journalism major, you will have to take PS 228: Political Theory and Propaganda. It's all about propaganda through history, from Machiavelli's "The Prince" to Orwell's "1984". You also watch about 2 or three movies. If you like this stuff, talk to Dr. Cary. I'm glad i took the class.

When you were reading about the types of propaganda, did parallels to the current election pop into your head too?

That sounds like an interesting class. I may take it. Thanks, Danni!

And it did remind me of politics today, how the candidates try to ruin the other parties compaign with negative propaganda myths and then use positive propaganda to build up their own directly afterwards.

But, I just recently got into politics so I don't know that much yet. I want to be able to make an informed vote during the election though.

And, Jed, maybe schools are using propoganda in not teaching us propoganda like the different levels of education depending on social-class structure.