What Happens Online Stays Online?

In reading the article about young teachers having social networking sites like Facebook, I find that people are giving these teachers a hard time. Just a year or so ago those teachers were in college, in sororities, and it was essential for them to have a site like Facebook.

If our country wasn't so pressed about sex, sexuality, and sometimes crude humor than this wouldn't be a problem. Also, if parents of young kids actually watched or blocked their kids from these sites it also wouldn't be a problem.

These young teachers haven't done anything in their young life that parents wouldn't have done in their younger years. I agree with Erin Webster "...my work and social lives are completely separate. I just feel they shouldn't take it seriously. I am young. I just turned 22."

Sometimes it's not the fault of the young teacher's profile. It's their friend who tagged them in a video or picture and they (the teacher) are not aware. But, teachers should seriously consider usuing higher privacy ratings on their sites.

As for the trolls article, it just shows me that everyone should be careful about what they post on the internet, who can see it, and their privacy ratings. If people don't care what is said about them on the Internet and give out all of their information without privacy blocks, those people shouldn't be surprised if a troll comes knocking on their door.

But, I also feel there should be some way to block these trolls and get them psychological help because it's not right to mess with people and be cruel just for the hell of it. It's a terrible thing to go through and the Internet should be a place filled with information and positive social networks.

MS said:

"Just a year or so ago those teachers were in college, in sororities, and it was essential for them to have a site like Facebook."

Since when is it "essential" for education students to have a site like Facebook? So they can show off the cool pictures of them drinking, giving "shocker" hand signs, pouty "kiss me" lips and sideways ballcaps?

Or is it some sort of Generation Y ego-trippin' madness/warm & fuzzy feeling to believe that the 1500 friends you have on your Myspace or Facebook are actually your friends? Seems like massive insecurity, to me.

Somehow I doubt the "networking" aspect of these sites could even be justified. Those that do the hiring in school districts - superintendents and administrators are not sitting up at night, browsing for potential hires.

Damn, I'm old enough to remember the time when if you were popular, you were doing something wrong.