The Kilian Review

All in all, I can't say I enjoyed this book. But, my personal opinion doesn't matter. What matters is if the book can help its audience and in some cases I think it does. The first part reviews:
  • different audiences
  • keeping the audience in mind
  •  the idea of information, orientation, and audience (although I feel the idea is expressed so much throughout the book that it becomes redundant)
  • active vs. passive voice
  • the importance of short paragraphs & sentences
  • Anglo-Saxon vs. Greco-Latin
With the exception of Anglo-Saxon vs. Greco-Latin, this review I personally found boring because I knew it all. If someone was coming into this with no knowledge, however, these tips would be very useful. This is also useful for Kilian's idea of helping those coming from a background of print-writing make the switch to electronic-writing.

Nevertheless, I feel there are audiences that haven't properly been considered in this book.I think the Web 4.0 could also benefit from review about print writing. Many of my classmates hadn't taken print-writing classes and did not know the differences between print and electronic writing.

Another idea is to update some of the examples. The cliches, for instance, need to become more modern and appeal to Americans and Canadians. I hadn't heard of any of those cliches mentioned in the book and so I felt it was really out of date. Another example problem is the CD. I found it hard to navigate and couldn't find the examples for the assignments. This breaks down what the book is saying about making your website easy for the reader to navigate.

The book also draws on lengthy paragraphs and many times lost my interest. It may be in print, but younger readers have become so accustomed to the short stuff that they get frustrated reading long texts. Kilian's readers are becoming younger and younger and the book needs to consider that. Adding more bulleted points or just shortening the paragraphs may help.

Web 3.0 also does a good job of explaining Corporate Writing. As much as I may dislike learning and doing corporate writing, I felt these sections did a good job of explaining it. (And I loved the section on propaganda. You don't hear much about that unless you take a course on it.) But, I felt the wording was rather forceful and left little hope for The Artist to express their work.

That's really all I have to say about that. I hope the comments that we make will be reviewed by Kilian for Writing for the Web 4.0 so that readers after me will have a more convienient time.