Krug's Great Lack of Thought

Steve Krug's book Don't Make Me Think brought to light the way I do use sites and the way I should construct them to suit my audience like billboards. And, what I liked most about the book, was that I had a good time reading it. Not only was it informational and up-to-date, but it was not boring.

It was short and to the point, but did not lack anywhere in information. Anything that needed explaining was explained concisely. Also, the use of pithy quotes and play-on-words help to drive home the point and make it stick. For example, "happy talk must die" reminds me to get rid of filler words and the larger third law of usability. I know I will remember to always do this when I construct a website just because it's funny.

The book also did a good job of distilling rumors like the Average User. The way it was set up, proving all of its points with displays, left almost no room for argument, which is good for his business. The idea of usability testing is something that can apply to any product and is a cheap necessity for websites.

Don't Make Me Think has a business/persuasion aspect for the employees who would read it. The brevity also helps them not have to spend so much time outside of their job reading it. The pictures and wording also attracts younger readers like my class, who are learning how to create good websites, and others who want to start into the usability testing or just impress their boss.

My only criticisms, if Krug were to make another edition, would be to, of course, update websites and perhaps include other variations or great of positive websites than Amazon.com. I realize this website does a lot of things right, but there must be another website that does things just as well. The second idea is as Jed said, "the book did not focus enough on usability testing itself." I wish there had been more of testing explained. I know that's what Krug does and he doesn't want to give away all the information, but I don't think a little more elaboration and examples would have hurt.

All in all, I enjoyed the book and, because so much thought was put into it, I didn't have to think hard to get the point or see what I needed to improve. Also, aside from a few examples, much of the information he gives us is timeless. Thanks!