Beta Report

Things I want to still do:

• Credit the picture of the background
  • Credit my friends for their pictures and information
  • Add more to the about page
  • Add more links to the about page
  • Find and erase noise
  • Upload the 6 and 7 chapter
  • Eye-catching homepage with more detail of what's beyond that page
  • Explanations at the top some internal pages OR change the placement of some links until after these people have been introduced like TOPS Story link
  • Fix the bullet-problem on the People page
  • Create way to track visitors
  • Add link to the characters page on the navigation bar of the different chapter pages

First, I took out the borders and changed the background to test tubes for the story, a white homepage, and left the other pages green. I then ask classmates what they thought of it and Jackie was especially helpful with the idea of a lighter shade of green and the graphic of tubes instead of as a background.

I remembered Kevin's response to the super green background so I toned down the shade, but I still wanted to separate the story from all the extra stuff. I made a graphic I'd found the background. Jessie helped me put the graphic in Photoshop and size it while Dr. Jerz helped me with the saturation. I made it a light enough that I think will attract people to the site without taking away from the dialogue. I am still not sure about, but I left another blog asking for more input on the background.

I linked all of my links to specific parts of inner pages like Number 21 in the story to Number 21 in the character page so people won't have to scroll through the page to find this character after clicking on the link. I did this for all links in the story.

I took the word "the" out of the top navigation bars so there was less noise on the page. On some pages, I feel there is still a lot of noise to cut down on, but I'm not sure where. I added more words to the homepage as well as a link to the about page.

The about page will be where I credit my work and the pictures. For now, it has information on the purpose/reason of the site, the story, and difficulties I had.

I was also having trouble with the bottom of one page, where a picture cut halfway across the page and messed up the borders. I took it to Dr. Jerz who found a missing closed <div>. On the same page, I interviewed my friends a little deeper and found more information. I may have to explain why the gymnastics is relevant because it tied us all together, but it is an "about the real people" page so the information is just to give the readers a little more about the real people.

In the meantime, I ran a couple of usability tests and let my friends look at the site. They liked it and had no trouble figuring it out, but they had already seen the site and the story before as well so they understood the pages.

Another friend of mine, who hadn't seen either, left me several ideas I wanted to add. She gave the site a brief look over and said to add pictures to the homepage to grab people's attention. This is a design issue, but something I do agree with and would like to do.

She wanted to add a link on navigation side of the chapter pages that would take the reader to see the character page whenever they wanted instead of getting the chance to only when I link a new character. This eliminates the times they would need to click in between the chapter to the homepage to the character page. It also means for me that I won't have to link every character that appears in every chapter. Good idea!

She also said to provide an explanation for one or two of the internal pages like The TOPS page and what the numbers mean to the characters on the Character page. (All this information is in the story, but for someone clicking around they may not know that and get discouraged. On the other hand, they may be more inclined to read and find out.) Her last comment was to add to the homepage an author's note that explained the story and background info. I guess she didn't see the about page, found there wasn't enough information on it, or wants that info quicker.