Not the Road Less Traveled By

The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost is not about beating the march of your own drum like many people think. I just read in A Practical Introduction to Literary Study that the poem is really about the choices/decisions that people make in life. These decisions create the paths/roads that people take and determine the outcome of who they are and their life.

Robert Frost doesn't take the road less traveled by. He thinks he does at first, but then he finds as he is walking the other path that "Though as for that passing there / Had worn them really about the same, / And both that morning equally lay / In leaves no step had trodden black."

So really both paths had been walked the same amount. He just says he took the one less traveled by because that is how he distinguished the differences in the two paths at first. He wanted to take both, but "doubted if I should ever come back."

In the end, he sighs and knows he will be telling someone this story, which path he chose, and it will have made the difference in his life.

As for the other poems, I enjoyed them. Fire and Ice has long since been my favorite poem, but now with close reading I have a deeper understanding of it. Robert Frost is my favorite poet (mostly because he is the only one I can understand) and another one of his poems that really provokes thought in me is Love and a Question.

Other's Opinions