The Fate of the Times

CosmoGirl, a teenager version of the popular adult magazine Cosmopolitan, ended production with its December 2008 issue. Across the United States, subscribers will receive letters and a copy of the magazine Seventeen. Heart Magazines, owner of both magazines, decided to fold the contents of CosmoGirl into Seventeen.

Many paper industries suffered a similar fate including Elle Girl, Teen People, The Minneapolis Star Tribune, and almost The New York Times. Print news main source of income comes from advertising and subscriptions. Newspapers and magazines cannot compete with sites like Google and Monster for advertising space. Also, much of the information in the news or in the magazines can be found online for free. More people can now read their articles while checking their email or Facebook and they don't have to pay.

It is interesting to note that the magazines that have folded still have running sites. All of the information that would have been placed in the magazine is now online and open to anyone who visits the site.

Should newspapers then "transform into local marketing service companies" to make money? Or join the Green crowd and print their work somewhere other than paper. Perhaps on the web.

Journalists today need to pull away from print as their main source of revenue and move toward publishing work for the Internet. In his book The Vanishing Newspaper, Philip Meyes says "the final copy of the final newspaper will appear on somebody's doorstep one day in 2043." But, I don't think news will stop there. It may be the last paper article, but blogs and online news-sites (easily updated and interactive) will prevail. 

More News About News

Jeremy Barrick said:

I do not feel that the web should be the only outlet for the news. Take in consideration old people and others who have not gotten in to the digital world yet.

I agree, but I can't think of any other outlet that has been created that would support this idea. Plus I feel that in 2043 (when the last paper will be printed supposedly) that most people will be on the internet and know how to use and prefer it.

Perhaps there will be a global or US newspaper. But, like records are no longer made, I feel a change will be inevitable.

I can't believe that Cosmogirl ended it's productions! With such a popular teen magazine, as well as the other teen newsprints ending their long-time runs, journalism is definitely being transformed into an online business.
However, I hold hope that some print does stay, simply because I much prefer holding articles in my hands rather than staring at a computer screen.

I think some magazines will stay because big advertisers of the perfume industry use them to give consumers a sneak-peak smell at their products. That's something you can't do online. The same goes to advertisments that get longer pages or even spreads/fold-outs. A website is restricted to screen size or pop-ups.

Magazines have been closing down for a while now. I think it was YM that just up and vanished in the middle of my prescription. They sent me Teen Vogue as a replacement, but it wasn't the same--just a bunch of advertisements. I get that magazines are always full of ads, but what's the point if there is no copy to read? I guess not everyone appreciates the copy as much as the photos anymore.