Attack of the Clones!

Whoa, whoa...So many clones, popping up everywhere! In trees, machines, planes, and probably trains too.

A lot of this information makes sense. I feel that it would obvious, but only if you paid attention to the news and what people like to read. It's something that once I hear it I feel like I already knew it, but I'm not so sure if I would followed these rules without hearing it aloud.

Celebrities (always news), locality, and conflict. I was in Arnzen's class last week and we looked at a heading in the Setonian that had the word "conflict" in it, which is what drew everyone's attention first. He mentioned something about how conflict in books and news is what draws people in also.

I don't like the saying, "If it bleeds, it leads," but I understand why it is this way. Perhaps I'll make the first positive paper. (Or a blog since papers are going out.)

Update: Since posting this last, I've thought of a few things worth noting. Your audience really does make a difference. In order to get them to buy/read, you have to write what interests them. As much as I would like to say we write the paper for the students, we really write it for the faculty, parents, and the nuns so we tailor articles to fit their needs.

To be quite honest, I am disappointed at the Setonian because it's not for the students. It may be written by us, but not about anything we're really interested in. Writing articles, researching should be fun and exciting, but instead it's just a chore. When I was a prospective journalism student, I picked up an issue of the Setonian not because it interested me, but because I knew it was something I should know as a reporter. What about other students? Ones not commited to the paper... Do they even care?

OSR

Jeremy Barrick said:

Certain key words do heighten the senses. I am more prone to reading an article with the headlines: Violence Explodes in Wal Mart rather than Cherry Festival brings numerous amounts of senior citizens to area-BORING!

Really? Cherry Festival (or even better Cherry Blossom Festival) really draws me to read the article until you mentioned the senior citizens. That threw me right out again.

Arnzen actually commented on the new headline for the Setonian in class the other day. He said he was upset that the word "inordinate" was used in the headline because its a judgment or value not a fact.

Rebecca Marrie said:

Cherry Blossom Festival Draws Numerous Amount of Senior Citizens to Town.
This article would definitely draw my attention.
Undoubtedly conflict attracts readers, but this is not the only way to do so. Positive news is severely underrated. It has the ability to lower stress levels, give hope, and (gasp) even cause a reader to SMILE. Seriously, who wants to read depressing news all the time? Sometimes people do want to read light-hearted stories. Perhaps someday journalists will catch onto this novel idea. Or perhaps Aja and I will start a new trend.