Grim as the Dickins-on

A Great Finish for The Great Gatsby. I felt that Nick or Fitzgerald had taken a line from Emily Dickinson. Keeping in mind that's all I've been studying this semester, I still felt it would have been something she would say. "So we drove on toward death through the cooling twilight" (136).

It's not a halting or poetic as Dickinson, but it reminded me of her poems. This cold, sad remark demonstrated how old Nicki was getting and with each step (or time pass). I also realized after reading further that this was an allusion to Myrtle's death. They were driving toward the scene of the commotion. There is probably much more laced in this quote, only I haven't found it yet.

But...Was anyone else happy that Myrtle died? Or not happy, but felt like it was a good (deserved) twist?

Your quote never caught my eye until I read your blog. It is very interesting how the wreck had happened after the quote in the book. It is well used and I'm glad you pointed that out.
I was happy Myrtle died because, you're right, it does feel like a good deserved twist. When I was reading and thinking about it I was thinking of the relationship between all of them and then especially at the end how Mr. wilson killed Mr. Gatsby. Very interesting. And a great finish of the book.

Alyssa Sanow said:

I didn't necessarily find Myrtle's death as being deserved, but her death and the way she died was very ironic. Daisy didn't know that Myrtle was having the affair with Tom, and yet she was the one behind the wheel. Also, the reason Myrtle was hit and killed was because she was running out to the car because she had seen Tom driving it earlier. The irony is complete when Tom kills Gatsby because he believes it was Gatsby having the affair with Myrtle and driving the car that hit her.

I think you mean that Wilson kills Gatsby, but yes Tom did lead Wilson to Gatsby. It was all very ironic (tragic). I am sad that Gatsby dies, kind of...

I feel that without Daisy perhaps he would have killed himself or wasted away. Or if Daisy stayed with him then he would find Daisy to have not lived up to his expectations and be equally sad/disappointed.

Andrew Adams said:

First off, to say that Myrtle deserved to die is a little harsh. I mean yeah she ran around on her husband, but the only person that I think should have been punished in any way is Tom. He manipulated her with his wealth, (something her husband did not have) and also abused her. Plus he mentally abused Daisy through all of his neglect and the way he seemed to control her. My real problem was how unfair it was for Gatsby to die because Daisy killed Myrtle, and Tom and Daisy get to go on living in their unhappy marriage.

As for the Dickinson poems, I did notice that several passages have a sort of poetic flow to them. I'm not so sure you could say Fitzgerald is trying to mimic Emily Dickinson though, but rather that he writes novels with pieces of poems placed in them (based off of this particular book).

I'm sure the idea of Tom and Daisy continuing to live unhappy while the good or innocent died was something Fitzgerald did to provoke thought and realize the unfairness of life or perhaps "all the good die young."

As for Emily, eh...I was just making a comment. It would be neat to see if that was where ideas for the story or passages came from.