Movies, Doctors, and Illness

In chapter 24, when they are talking of consumption I thought of how not just literature uses illness. Moulin Rouge gave Nicole Kidman (Satine) consumption. I didn't think anything about this before, but I guess I can try to relate it now.

Satine was a whore and had never been in love. She thought she wanted money in the place of love, but she does finally fall in love. Only the love is hopless just like her dying of consumption. Her beautiful love could never last and neither could she. She "wasted away" without knowing it just like she didn't know her romance couldn't work until the end of the movie.

Another idea with this chapter is that I think author's could still use fever. There are still some diseases and cases where the doctors can't find a cure or diagnosis. And the author could put the character in a situation where they can't get to a doctor.

Last, I think that Foster is wrong when he says, "This (diagnosing virtually any disease)strikes me as a case where the cure is definitely worse than the disease, at least for literature." I think literature can be improved using all of these forms of diagnosis for entertainment like in House. And, although I can't think of it right now, there could be metaphors and deep meaning behind these things.

Julianne Banda said:

Aja,

I like how you referenced one of my favorite movies Moulin Rouge. The connection between the movie and the chapter of Foster never crossed my mind. I agree that her illness paralleled her life and made it that much harder for her to fulfill her dreams of being "a real actress" as Satine states in the movie.

I also agree with the fact that the author could use fever. There are many people that die of fever because they cannot get to a doctor in time or they are poor and live nowhere near a city and don't have the right resources or medicine to take cure the person of a mere fever.