OMG Yes! And the Bible

I finally got something out of the book that I agree with and learned instead of "oh, I would have known that if I really paid attention." It's irony. I'm not very good at irony. The best I've done could be compared to Foster's billboard (really cheesy). I've known the definition of irony and sometimes I can recognize it, but the examples really helped. I wouldn't have realized the irony of the road or the arrow until it was shown to me.

But onto something I can discuss...(Cause I still can't really define/explain irony(Oh! That's ironic!))

"...try to find a reading perspective that allows for sympathy with the historical moment of the story', that understands the text as having been written against its own social, historical, cultural, and personal background" (228-9).

This reminds me of what I am doing for my Honors Jesus class. We read some of the passages and analyze them, keeping in mind what predjudices Jesus grew up around and what he was educated through (Hebrew scripture and the Torah). This way we find what was real about the historical Jesus of Nazareth and the Jesus of Scripture. For example, the gospels were written anonymously at first and Mark (what is thought to be the oldest) has four different endings.

It is thought that the original writer of Mark ended it the first way with the women saying nothing about the resurrection of Jesus and not seeing him to be risen, and then someone later added more to the ending.

Also, the gospels differ because they may have been written for different crowds or purposes. Some may have elaborated on Jesus's miracles or what he really said because they wanted to convert people. The gospels were written much later after Jesus's death so who really would still have (word for word) what Jesus said. Many of the people who had been alive to see Jesus's work would have died.

A big controversy/discussion is about Jesus having siblings. I could go into that now, pulling up all evidence to support and deny this, but I won't unless someone asks for it. This blog is already too long.

Doesn't the question of siblings hinge in part on whether a particular word for male relatives has the specific meaning "brother" or could mean "any close male relative"?

Glad to see you're making connections across your courses.

Andrew Adams said:

I find one of the most ironic things when it comes to Jesus is that the majority of Christians and other branches who worship Jesus believe that he was white. While this could be "possible", it is highly unlikely. Considering he was from the Middle East, Jesus would most likely resemble the people of that area.

Irony is kind of tricky though to really get a hold of. I often will think that things are ironic when I really mean something more like contradictory, or even coincidental.

Yes, the Greek word "adelphi" (I think that is how it is spelled) can mean brother or countryman. This word is used in the bible several times. There is also a case in Mark where someone asks him why he isn't with his mother and brothers and Jesus looks around him (at his followers) and says something like "aren't these my mothers and brothers and sisters also"...