It's Just Sex...

This is the approach I have to keep reminding myself to take as I read this book. "It's just sex." A lot of people do it so why am I disturbed when the author talks about his cock, her desire to have him, or sexing up his younger self.

Although the scene is never really in there, its in there. There are enough clues and graphic language to make it too obvious. Perhaps its because I'm used to sex being covered up in literary novels. Or I don't expect to see it in a novel I read for class. Or because I don't normally read anything with (so filled with and with so many types of) sex.

I think its because as Foster says in latest chapter that everything is about sex unless it is sex. Sex is ugly and animalistic and there is no way to truely capture that passion. Also, I don't see how Niffenegger really uses sex for anything except sex (which is normal in a marriage or any relationship) and to move along the plot (in the sense of Henry getting caught with himself and starting the predeterminism thought).

Or is the graphic language/idea of sex trying to say something serious? Something that I can't find. Something related to predeterminism or his infertility? I don't think so. Then again I don't know.

Rosalind Blair said:

I agree. I do not really see the sex as this novel as anything more than sex. It allows Henry to have a mature relationship with his wife. I also feel that it makes Henry seem more human, and more normal. Other than that, I do not see it as meaning anything more in depth.