All Tied Up

"We call it-knot it," (400). She was going to knot the quilt like she knotted the rope 'round her husbands neck. (At least what the women think). Nice tie in (NPI).

In "Trifles" by Susan Glaspell, I still wasn't convinced that Mrs. Wright did it, but I certainly found motive. It's funny that the men couldn't find a motive and made fun of the women, who found a motive, but kept it concealed.

Women know women better, but I suppose that this was during the time when women didn't put their voice out there. They seem to only converse, even when it wasn't about Mrs. Wright, when the men were out of earshot. Why? Tradition for women to be silent unless a man addressed them or did they just not want the men to hear their conversation.

I also wanted to contemplate her name: Mrs. Wright (as the men call her and her formal name) and Minne Foster (as the women call her, unmarried). Wright seems for structured, uptight, and stiff like her marriage (as we heard) while Minnie seems more innocent and happy.

OSR

Jessica Orlowski said:

It's interesting that you mention the women solely conversing about the murder when the men are out of earshot. I thought about this, too. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that women were, like you said, traditionally silent unless spoken to. I think that they truly believe they found evidence concerning the murder in the kitchen (Interesting- hasn't it always been said that the woman's place is in the kitchen?). Perhaps they're keeping all the glory to themselves by not telling their men. Maybe they even realize that the kitchen is the ONE place men will not look for evidence because it is "not their place."

Cody Naylor said:

Wow... I LOVE that you noticed the change in names representing different sides of Mrs. Wright. I never stopped to give that much thought... but yeah, it seems pretty significant now.

Thank-you for pointing out that the women actually found the motive, while the men remained clueless. Whenever one of the men said something along the lines of, "You know women, always worrying over trifles..." I wanted to yell, "Yeah, like motive for murder, you chauvinist." But, alas. Impressive that the playwright actually made *me* want to commit murder.

I took a different approach for why they didn't tell the men about the evidence they found. I thought that maybe they were trying to protect MInnie--I mean, she went through all that trouble to hide the dead canary, because it meant so much to her, even after death. This shows her innocence, and probably made the women sympathize even more with her. Their comments about her fruit going bad also lend to my idea. Maybe they didn't speak up because they didn't want to, rather than because they weren't permitted to.

Dave said:

While I think the women were silent out of a desire to protect Minnie, I don't think that was all of it. I think it did have to do with the men's attitude toward them, but I think it was more of a reaction to it.
If someone treats me as if I'm stupid, or even question's my intellect, they certainly aren't going to be getting any answers from me....at least without a whole lot of grovelling and ego-stroking.
For that reason I think the women thought: "If you men are so smart, I guess you don't need us to tell you what happened. It is rather obvious."

Kayla Lesko said:

I was thinking the same thing about the names.

Carissa Altizer said:

I think the women were protecting their own kind in the only way they knew how. They believed that they found a motive for her to kill her husband, but they also understand exactly why she did it. Minnie Foster and Mrs. Wright are two different people entirely. One represents freedom and beauty, the other stands for oppression and a silent struggle that women faced for centuries. The women knew Minnie Foster and they recognized that she would use the only creative outlet available to her (sewing) to create the murder weapon and the only space that was truly hers (the sewing basket) to hide the motivation evidence. Mrs. Hale felt guilty for realizing Minnie was unhappy but never taking the time to talk to her. Both women knew that if their roles with Minnie were reversed, they may have been capable of murder if they felt "trapped" for 30 years. Women clearly had few options and divorce was not one of them. The women knew that there was a good chance Minnie would be convicted of murder, but they chose to help her in the only way they could...Relying on the fact that the men would not think that they were capable of hiding evidence or disobeying the law "once they were married to it."

I really liked Carissa's response. It really summed up the other things I was thinking. The women were trying to protect their friend from these men who don't understand them. They aren't treated equally so why should they think the men will listen to Minne if she does testify.

But, I also think (as we were saying in class) that Mrs. Peters ("married to the law") may break and confess.

Dave said:

I agree with Aja, a person who can't touch a dead bird without "going to pieces," probably can't withstand police interrogation. Despite the intellectual deficit associated with most police officers, especially in this story, in general they are suprisingly good at making people admit to stuff.