Short like the chapter

"Always assume that everything you find there is connected to everything else in the work..." (54).

I disagree. There are always exceptions.

"Organize your Essay on a Close Reading" (55): Introduction, Body, Conclusion.

That's elementary, my dear Roberts. Elementary.

Despite these challenges I faced when reading this section, I did like that it raised questions to help discover ideas for close reading theses. They were very helpful.

OSR

I agree that sometimes there are things you read in a text that seem waaay out there and disconnected from everything else, but I wonder if trying to find the connection it may hold could lead to finding an even better theme than was previously possible. I know, as a writer, I'd like my readers to give me the benefit of the doubt. Even if that means when they guess at the meaning of something I wrote, I have to slowly nod and say, "Oh, yeah, that was *exactly* what I meant."

I think the most useful part of this chapter were the example essays, because they gave the reader the opportunity to see exactly what is expected out of a close reading literary analysis. Aside from that point, I agree that yet again, some of the information was a little repetitive (intro, body, conclusion), but I understand why those sections are necessary. Other than these two points, I agree with you about the "raised questions." Often times, when I'm reading a story for class, I have a hard time separating myself from my usual leisurely reading pace. That is, I don't pose a lot of questions while I'm reading. These examples gave me a lot to think about next time I pick up a literary work and decide to read it as more than just something "fun" to do.