Duck Profile?

This was an interesting article and it really inspiring for organic foods. The vivid detail (although not focusing on cooking) actually made me hungry and want to buy organic foods, but was there any negative?

Are profiles supposed to have a negative? Or just show the good and only slightly bad/relatable sides to people?

The other thing that threw me off was the beginning about the ducks. I started to wonder if the article was really about ducks because I didn't see Walters's name for so long; a whole two paragraphs and three sentences later.

OSR

You might write a profile of a notorious figure -- a convicted criminal or a disgraced politician. In such a case, you would still try to present your subject as a fully rounded human figure, not just a charicature of evil, even if the person you're writing about has become famous as a criminal.

Generally speaking, however, personality profiles will focus on the positive, since most people would prefer to read about people they like.

I agree that the author took a tad too long to get to the point. I understand the value of describing the scenery, but at one point I was awfully curious as to what I was reading about.

I do agree that the ducks were confusing. Especially because they aren't what I immediately think of when I hear the term "organic food"; I think of vegetables and stuff. However, once Cox got into the central focus of his story, I thought the level of physical description was really helpful. It was different than Stockton's story in that I could really see where certain things were taking place as opposed to reading about people just talking about the place in an abstract way.
I think profile pieces probably do tend to be more positive just for the sheer fact that people would get angry if you interview them and then print negative things about them. Then the next time you try to do a profile piece on somebody people won't talk to you. Kind of like what we discussed in Byron's article about TV stations not wanting to ruffle advertisers' feathers.

Aja, I’m going to have to disagree slightly with you. I agree that Cox didn’t say anything “bad” about Waters. However, I don’t think that she was portrayed as a perfect person. Cox writes that according to a former employee of hers (Bertolli), “She was, at times, challenging.” Cox also quoted Bertolli as saying, “She would ask me to do crazy things.” Cox also states that according to Michael Bauer (a food critic) she has a “drive for perfection and sometimes impractically high standards.” I don’t think that these are particularly positive comments. No, Cox did not set out to portray Waters in a bad light, but I do think that he points out that she has flaws (mainly perfectionism). And I think that Cox highlighting these flaws helps her to resonate with readers better. They see her more as a real person (a human with faults, just like them), instead of just some perfect, far-away person.

Greta,

I'm not saying they presented her in a perfect way, but the writer didn't dig up any dirt on her. Like in the obituary or the other profile, small things are said about the person in a slightly less positive way, but nothing like "although (insert name) was arrested as a teen for possession, (name) made a full recovery and then...blah blah"

I agree with Matt. If you interview someone and then make that person look bad, no one is going to be willing to let you interview them anymore. I definitely wouldn't, anyway. I think digging up a lot of dirt on someone for a profile piece may be sort of a career killer.
Greta- I think you're right about the balancing act Cox tries to pull. Though, I see where Aja's coming from, too. I mean, if the only flaw someone listed about me was "perfectionism" I'd be pretty thrilled.

Wendy Scott said:

I agree with you as well Josie I mean I if thats the only thing "perfectionism" is not that bad. Aja I have to agree the duckks through me off though to I was like "what?"; I mean it did come together in the end though.

Digging up dirt could kill your career and I don't suggest it at all when it comes to some profile pieces, but when it comes time to inform the public about a candidate or about an issue, the whole truth should be presented rather than just fluff or bias. That *should* gain you respect in the writing world. Of course, it doesn't always work this way.

Yeah, I can see what you are saying, Aja. I just wanted to point out that Cox didn't completely sugarcoat her. And you are definitely right about how all the dirt should be dug up on candidates. And I think in general the news media does try pretty hard to do that.