Once upon a midnight dreary

I've read Robert Frost's "Desert Places" before and I'm always a fan of his work. At first, you may think it will be brutally hot, but instead the place he describes is so cold there isn't anything there. Not even an animal. They are "all smothered in their lairs" (370 line 6).

This absence, completly still, stirs up lonliness and even fear. Fear of what? Something lurking? Or just the ever present stillness? Does this remind him of death (like many of Frost's other poems)?

SO

Dianna Griffin said:

Aja, I think you're right. I got a kind of suicidal vibe towards the end of the poem here. I don't know if that's like a theme among poets or something, but we sure have been reading a few emotionally unstable works here lately.

Brooke Kuehn said:

When i first read this poem i didnt think of suicide, but i did feel an overwhelming sense of depression. But i see how the depression could lead to suicide especially when the speaker says, "“And the ground almost covered smooth in snow/ But a few weeds and stubble showing last” (3-4). It's almost as if the speaker is saying he or she has almost lost the battle to the loneliness or depression, which could lead to suicide.

And I'm not even saying suicide. Maybe the speaker is old. I was just saying of the feeling of death, which leads us into "The Quick and the Dead"

Brooke Kuehn said:

interesting, i never even thought of it possibly being death by old age, or anything else for that matter. I guess i was quite narrow minded with the whole depression idea. I'll have to look over it again.