Readers Digest

"There's a tendency to overload sentences and let them swell to unseemly length. But, the longer the sentence, the less readable it's likely to be, and the more exposed to mishaps of syntax" (37).

This is similar to what I blogged about for chapter three and offers a good solution of chopping the sentences up. The cutting up of the sentences does help in some cases, but in others it feels elementary (like it states in the beginning of the chapter).

In political arena, it is good to use because it offers a time/place for readers to reflect/digest what they have just read and apply it to the next sentence, but for features and profiles (simple things) I feel the speed, flow is lost if it gets cut up.

Student Opinion

I agree with you about features and profiles being "slower" when sentences are chopped up. But maybe it's just because we learned to avoid such choppy sentences in high school? I dunno...I definitely think that sentence variety is important, but I feel like one of the only reasons I write such long sentences usually is because that's how I was instructed to write properly. What do you think?

I agree and variety would be great. Short sentences are really punctual and can really enforce the work when used right, but sometimes people don't know how to use it right and the reader just loses out.

Long sentences can lose out the same way too. They become run on and lose the thought/path.