Poor Miss Brill

She shouldn't have been eavesdropping, but still I feel for the lady. She'd just started thinking positively of herself. Unlike Mathilde in "The Necklace," I didn't get the feeling that Miss Brill was stuffed up or wanted to be prettier or more popular than everyone else. She was confident, but not conceited.

And then hero and heroine shattered her "theatre" world, not only because they pretty much said she wasn't an actress and was actually and old hag, but also because they weren't the beautiful hero and heroine. The boy seemed to be inconsiderate of the girl's boundaries and the way he spoke about Miss Brill wasn't gentelmanly at all. The girl, despite her protests, doesn't seem to the pure heroine and is also very rude.

Poor Miss Brill didn't even finish her routine/act/play by stopping at the baker's for her honeycake that sometimes had an almond in it, that was "like carying home a tiny present - a surprise" (351).

SO

Dianna Griffin said:

I feel bad for Miss Brill too :(. She's just a nosey little old lady. Come on, isn't that always the case. I loved how my grandma would eavesdrop on everyone she could. She always knew what was going on. I feel like this story is a good representation of society. Young people, like me, don't appreciate older people. I can remember multiple times where I have discredited people due to their age.

I agree. In some ways, Miss Brill reminds me of my grandma. My gram doesn't go sit in random parks and stuff like that, but she's lonely because my pap died over fifteen years ago. I empathize with Miss Brill because she's obviously lonely if she resorts to talking to her fur...I mean, come on...but seriously, I know she's not the most likeable of characters, but I think that's what makes her such a great character, because she's very realistic of real old ladies. I know that both of my grandmothers aren't afraid to tell you how it is, no matter how rude it might be. Miss Brill is at least kind enough to keep her opinions to herself, but we still think she's rude just for thinking them...I don't mean to be smart, but I'm guessing that everyone has probably had similar thoughts to hers...minus the bit about the fur coat thing.