Application

I'm not going to bash The Harvard Crimson especially since they have a better website than we do. Here are some things I noticed (positive and negative):

• The site was text heavy
  • Some pictures in slide were repeated at the bottom of the page if you scrolled down
  • They had a slide show
  • They "above the fold" part was done very well
  • The "below the fold" was mostly short links
  • It's constantly updated
  • Many time more than one person is in the byline
  • Their use of color pulls you to believe some things are links (like the time)

I wonder how they are able to do all these things (a bigger staff? a bigger lab? more funding? more dedication? different programs? bigger school?). The real question though is: "What the Setonian Online can feasibly take and apply?" I mean just look at Seton Hall's Setonian. There's no way ours is even on the radar.

SO

I think it's pretty apparent that the Crimson has a big staff; I don't think they could maintain such an intricate website if it were being run by a small group of people. As you pointed out, the Crimson has enough people to even assign more than one person to write an article. I think it's definitely an advantage to have a website that's being handled by a large group of people because it can be constantly updated. Unlike many college papers, you can get up-to-date information that in some instances is only a couple of hours old. This keeps the information exciting and made me want to read it more. The only problem with the constant updates was there were so many stories I had some difficulty deciding what to read. I think the biggest issue with this site is that it's kind of busy and cluttered and draws your attention in too many different directions all at the same time.

I also thought it was cluttered. I liked the white space of the other online paper after I saw Harvard's. Still, these two seemed to be the extremes. A lot of clutter, a lot of white space. I'd like the Setonian Online to find a balance. Right now, we lean toward the white space.