What you're missing!

Let me say the benevolent Victorian narrator is hilarious in his commentary. I especially liked the reference to "dead as a door-nail" as a simile/just an expression. It really set the tone.

I don't know if it's my bias (having seen many renditions of "A Christmas Carol" before reading the book), but I had a hard time understanding some scenes. I'm used to the visual and perhaps I'm not getting it because of a change in language of the time, but if I had not seen some scenes already I'm not sure if I would have understood.

"Suddenly a man, in foreign garments: wonderfully real and distinct to look at: stood outside the window, with an axe stuck in his belt, and leading by the bridle an ass laden with wood."

At first, I didn't know this person was fake. I had an inkling. I didn't recognize the name Ali Baba at first either. It wasn't until Robinson Crusoe that I realized they were characters from the book the child was reading.

"In came a fiddler with a music-book, and went up to the lofty desk, and made an orchestra of it, and tuned like fifty stomach-aches."

What does that even mean? In these parts, I feel I should have footnotes or hyperlinks. Oh! And one last thought. Is this guy gay?

"In came the cook, with her brother's particular friend, the milkman."

Students' Opinions

Dianna Griffin said:

I didn't really understand some of the things that Dickens wrote either. He writes very well, and I appreciate how descriptive he is, but he just needs to get to the point sometimes. I really like the newest version of "A Christmas Carol" with Jim Carrey. He is amazing! If you haven't seen it, you should.