Running Headstrong into a Minefield

I hope that my second edition of "Style: The Basics of Clarity and Grace" is close enough to the one in the bookstore. I'm not sure since I am blogging first.

From my understanding, this blog isn't about our reactions or reflections of the text, but application. I'm finding this a little difficult because I'm used to reacting. For the Orwell part, I thought he was very concise (for Orwell), but perhaps I'm used to academese. However, when you revised his statement, I felt Orwell's voice was lost while his message was clearer. (Elementary school clear)

It's been about twenty minutes since I wrote the above portion and, upon reflecting on the chapter, I cannot come up with anything. I think I write simply. I write in active voice unless it cannot be avoided. I don't believe a blank page is "a minefield to cross gingerly" and I'm not big on grammar.

I like to throw words on the page because they sound good together and they make sense. I write for the average person (whatever that is) not just because I'm a journalist, but because that is my writing voice.

"Generations of students have struggled with dense writing, many thinking they were not smart enough to grasp a writer's ideas. Some have been right about that..."

I'm not really going to comment on how angry that part of the sentence made me. The next part did nothing to relieve the anxiety and confirmation I felt about my inability to read long compilations of words in literature/academic papers that I hope to never write.

I did, however, enjoy the quote about lawyers not understanding lawyers.

Students' Opinions

Cody Naylor said:

Dear Aja,
I agree with you in that William's sentence was offensive. However, I'm not sure he necessarily meant it that way... there are people out there, as you pointed out, that do struggle with lengthy papers/sentences... Me reading Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter in 11th Grade = a prime example... but I felt that he was just trying to make a joke in this passage... albeit a bad one.
Love,
Cody

I understand it could have been a joke and that it wasn't his main point. However, as we've learned through texting another other activities that aren't face-to-face, it's sometimes hard to tell.

Overall, I do enjoy his book. He has a lot of good points buried in sometimes cheesy, sometimes funny, sometime not-so-nice jokes.