The Graphs?

"End sentences with information readers cannot anticipate. Readers prefer to read what's easy before what's hard, and what is familiar and simple is easier to understand than what is new and complex." Jospeh M. Williams

I can't agree with this enough. I hate when I come across sentences and I get stuck tryin to figure out and connect the first part of the sentence with the last thought. I end up frustrated and sometimes even skipping over the paragraph/information. You want someone to read all of your work so make sure it flows.

I recently had a problem with Wordsworth's "Preface to the Lyrical Ballads" because he would go on about a point and on about a point with so many commas and examples all in one sentence before getting to his final conclusion or remark. Then he would tie the previous extended sentence into yet another point.

Oh and can someone explain the graphs in this section?

Students' Opinions

We can talk about the visuals in class if you like.

As for Wordsworth, he's famous for asserting that prose can be just as elevated as poetry, which means that poetry should use the same language as prose -- not artificially elevated.

Given that education was mostly for the elite in his day, what he considered as ordinary prose still seems pretty elevated to us, but from his principle that "all good poetry is the spontaneous overflow of powerful feelings," it's a straight shot to emo open-mike nights.

And I figured that, but nowadays I find I'm still stuck reading the beginning of his sentences (to make sense) before I apply the other part. This takes time and today (as Williams says) shouldn't really be done because it turns off readers.