My Modifications

"Coordination lets you extend the line of a sentence more gracefully than just tacking on one element to another. When you can coordinate, try to order the elements so that they go from shorter to longer, from simpler to more complex" 101.

Chapter Eight: Shape in Williams's Style was enlightening. I've been looking for something to help me with the shape of my work. Though my observation really refers to my fiction work, it can be applied to journalism articles also.

You don't want your setences to run-on and break down. At the same time, you want clear sentences, but a variation in length and style. This is something I'm struggling with on my manuscript right now.

My setence structure has gotten a little mundane...repetitive. Williams offers solutions. I connect a lot of thoughs with "and" and (see <-- ) my sentences are then very simple. I could instead use "because" and shift some modifiers into the meat of the sentence.

See my classmates' opinions

I'm with you, Aja. I learned a lot in this chapter. I struggle with sentence variety as well. I tend to write longer sentences because I feel like they're more powerful. It's not that I'm not a fan of short ones--I just don't know how to make them effective. Good thing we have Williams to help us out!