dinoHunger: The Grocery Hunt

Everybody eats. The hotel has been kind enough to equip me with a microwave and mini-fridge. I can eat out and I do get continental breakfast. There are many local and chain places, but I need to pack lunches and then there's always the midnight snack.

There are several gas stations where I find the essentials, but they are a walk from the park. Blair's is a grocery store and pharmacy by Taco Johns/McDonalds/Subway. However, unless you stay further near the Rainbow Motel, you will want to go to Don's IGA.

Don's is less than a mile walk from the Best Western and Days Inn in the Hot Springs State Park. Don's also has a pharmacy, though I haven't yet needed it. I believe Don's is also bigger than Blair's.

When shopping I had to keep in mind that I didn't have a can opener, big bowls for mixing, or a stove. It severely limited my choices, though I did find these foods tasty and easy to make:

• Chef Boyaredee
  • Hot Cocoa
  • Jello
  • Kool-Aid
  • Donuts, Chips, Cheeze-its, Goldfish, Crackers, Pudding, Cookies
  • Lots of bread
  • Sandwich meats
  • Hot Dogs
  • Tuna
  • Cup O Noodles
  • Granola Bars
  • PopTarts
  • Easy Mac
  • Bacon
  • Peanut Butter and Jelly
  • Popcorn
  • Betty Crocker Microwavable Mashed Potatoes (Garlic, Red, Loaded)
  • Fruit (Canned or Not)
  • Baby Carrots, other raw veggies

As you can see, I love sweets. You can also order delivery from Pizza Hut, who now does wings and pastas aside from pizza.

What, no Ramen? And you call yourself a student? (Cup O Noodles is no substitute.)

I almost picked it up actually, but I have no pot to boil the water in or Ramen, and I don't have plastic/microwavable safe stuff big enough. :(

Then you are truly roughing it!