IF Game Plan: "Rebellion Run"

IF Game Plan

1. The first game I played is my favorite: Lost Pig. From this game, I want to take the ability to wake-up a character (the sleeping gnome) and the idea of escaping a place with another character. Grunk has to find the pig in the beginning, but he ends up needing to escape the underground cave with the pig.

The second game I played was "Hoist Sail for the Heliopause and Home." It was an interesting game and I liked that the rooms aren't directly east or west. You have to do the next action to get to the next room. With the little bit of text, it seems like it would be easy to code. However, this leaves the player with little to go on.

The HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy Game was fun to play and the last game. Though I didn't get all the way through, I was happy to recognize familiar events and plot. It inspired me to create my own game after a story I started. This, however, is not helpful to other players (as they haven't read my story).

2. The setting is a building with several rooms and a vent system that will lead outside of the building. The genre of my game is adventure and perhaps a bit of romance. It's inspired off of a novella that I started to write "Rebellion Run". 

3. The story is originally in third person, but for the game the player will be the PC, the male character, "Blue". Blue will have a description: "Experiment Number 5 aka 2-12-21-5 aka Blue. I live in room 2121. I've always lived in 2121."

If inventory is clicked, the PC will have a key card (that will open doors), a jumpsuit (he will be wearing) and a Pocket (that provides different directions or hints at different times).

The object of the game is to escape the facility that you've been housed in your entire life and bring your fellow experiments with you.

4. The first scene starts in the living room of Room 2121. PC Blue is late for a meeting and needs to get going, but he wakes up to a ringing. It won't stop until he answers it and he can't leave without it. When he answers, a voice on the other end gives him information and then PC hears a crash and hangs up the phone. He must examine the noise (finding another person in his room) before he can leave. This leads to the next scene/conversation.

Other specific actions include: unlocking doors using certain key cards, finding a loose vent behind a tree, taking off the vent case with a paper clip found in the nurse's room, navigating the vent system, swinging across an empty elevator shaft using the a wire hanging in the middle. Also, there will be times when PC needs to "ask about escape plan" to get valuable information.

5. When play begins, say "REBELLION INTRO HERE"

Room 2121 is a room. "The description of the living room is "The [TV] plays Saturday morning cartoons on low volume."

The ringing of your Pocket has woken you. Where did you leave it again?

The player is carrying a key card. The player is wearing a jumpsuit.

East of the living room is a kitchen. The description of the kitchen is "A [microwave], [fridge],  [cabinent], and [sink] buzz quietly."

"The ringing is louder here."

Microwave is scenery. Sink is scenery. Cabinent is scenery, openable. Fridge is scenery. Pocket is in cabinet. Pocket is hidden.

South of Room 2121 is a bedroom. "A tumbling, rumbling noise comes from the [bed]. Next to the bed is a nightstand with a [picture] on top."

A nightstand is scenery.

A picture is in a fixed place.

Number 21 is a woman in Room 2121. Number 21 is hidden.

***Here I am attempting to make it so Number 21 is seen only after examining bed and she is sleeping. ***

The bed is in a fixed place. "Number 21 kicks the sheets off and rolls to the edge, snoring all the way."

The description of Number 21 is "She lives in room 1101...Ugh. Her snoring is so loud." ***(I want this to change later)***

Instead of waking Number 21, say "You should stop that ringing first."

6. The player will have text clues like (after examining) the clock saying you're late for a meeting. Other ideas will come in through conversation "ask about..." At certain points, the Pocket will ring and give the player hints about the next step until you meet the girl behind the phone calls.

7. Rewards will be romance points and, of course, textual encouragement when they get closer to escaping. It will get harder because the "romance points" will become less obvious and more specific. There will be less phone calls as the player advances as well.

8. I'd like to make multiple endings depending on how many "romance" points are acquired. If they get the majority, it will end outside the government building with a kiss. If not, they will still make it outside, but there characters will only be friendly. If they don't get enough points before they find and climb out of the vent, then a police force will be waiting to capture them when they make it out.

9. If I run short on time, I plan to shorten the vent maze and the romance points/multiple ending thing.

10. If I have time, I'd like to add the rest of the novella in which the characters explore the outside world, but are forced to return to the government building.

I like the idea of romance points.

Yes, to function as a stand-alone game, you'll need to give the player just enough information to motivate them to do the actions you require in order to advance the plot. Be careful of info-dumping. Reveal the backstory gradually, as the player examines various props in the environment, as a way of rewarding the player for making a step in the right direction, as opposed to TELLING it all in a prose block.

I predict that most players would welcome a shorter maze, unless there's a very strong motivation for the player to get the PC through to the other end of the maze.

Sounds like you have a worthy start.