Newseum - More Than You Want

Earlier this week, I visited the Newseum. As a leader in EL200, I invited students who could not attend the SHU-sponsored D.C. trip. At the last minute, a few spots opened up and those students were able to take the bus. I then visited the museum at my own leisure and it wasn't what I expected.

Newseum Interior.jpg

There were several floors with walkways, glass elevators, and several moving exhibits. 

Newseum Interior Two.jpg

I realized afterwards why the lady at the ticket booth said we could return the next day. There was just so much emotion in once place that it couldn't all be seen and comprehended in one day.

If I had not had class on Wednesday, I would have gone back. I learned a bit about journalism there as well, not really about my goals established in Ex 1, but about journalists and journalism in extreme conditions/tragedies.

Here are three pictures with AP style captions:

Aja On Issues.jpg
Setonian journalist Aja with headphones at the ethics voting booth in the Newseum, October 12, 2010. Aja finds it surprising that more journalists believe in shooting the picture of the child with the vulture on standby rather than feeding the child. (Setonian Online/Carlos Peredo)

Bastards! in the News.jpg
After 9/11, The Examiner ran "Bastards" as their sole headline, October 12, 2010. During national tragedies, the formal format of newspapers can be replaced by something more emotional. (Setonian Online/Aja Hannah)

Honored Journalists.jpg
Panels and panels of names of journalists who died in their line of profession, October 12, 2010. Names are always being added as wars and crimes (especially against freedom of speech in other nations) wage on. (Setonian Online/Aja Hannah)

So though I did not attend the museum with any other Setonian students, I did reach a goal of reaching out to them, offering them my assistance and time to bond. Though I learned nothing about the actual skill of laying out the paper, I did learn about the differences in a paper under pressure and during a tragedy, the importance of plans, and how rules can be bent.

Paper Under Pressure.jpg
Setonian student poses in front of "We had a plan" display at Newseum, October 12, 2010. Despite the government's lack of plan during Hurricane Katrina, a New Orleans paper had a plan and continued to produce issues that chronicled the storm. (Setonian Online/Carlos Peredo)

A bit of fill-in flash would help on your face. The dynamic shot of the interior is very striking! I was struck by the contrast between the Examiner and the Walls Street Post, and I'm glad you framed it so well. How interesting, that the space is so dynamic, but two of the exhibits you photographed are basically grids of rectangles.