Informing Users On My Inform Seven Skills

In this blog, I demonstrate my ability to find and fix coding errors in a code more flexible than Scratch. This also gave me the ability to create my own commands (like to flush). My Inform 7 game "Rebellion Run" first needed to be expanded in the ways of synonyms.

Before testing, I implemented (to the best of my ability) changes to the game that my three previous testers discussed.

Like most Interactive Fiction, players want to be able to use different words for the same action. This fix was easy: "understand 'object' as synonym" or make multiple commands with the other word inserted.

I had some scenery as well that needed to be elaborated on even though it had little to do with the story. I had included it and therefore should do something with it.

A big difficulty was the secondary character. To get to endings, you must interact with her. My first tester did not know how to ask her things and I didn't want to give too much away. There are "ask [character] about 'blah'" would end up with a result, and so would "tell about" or "show". I tried to give these hints to her verbally. To solve this problem, I changed some of the verbiage and added more synonyms or responses that would lead to the proper answer. My second tester was able to not only find an ending, but the winning one.

The last major problem was that when the user got so far in the game to move the secondary character, I forgot to add a description of her in the room she entered. So there was some mix-up and the tester didn't know what to do until the timer ended the game for her. This can be heard at the end of the first screencast.