Chunky Monkey

"On one level, correctness means basics such as proper spelling, good grammar, and accurate names and addresses. This kind of correctness is also part of clarity because it helps readers understand your message more easily."
-Writing for the Web 3.0, Kilian

Ahh. Something that appeals to the English major in me. Proper spelling and good grammar. (And Phish Food ice cream, but I've just got ice cream on the brain.) I admit to using fragmented sentences. The first three "sentences" in this paragraph aren't even sentences at all. They are fragments. But that's all in the name of having, and maybe even abusing, a writer's license. But proper spelling is what really gets me. I have a hard time focusing on a website if many words are misspelled. The credibility of the site is completely lost to me.

Another point I enjoyed was that of chunking and scrolling. (Hence, the title Chunky Monkey.) Depending on the purpose of one's website, one must decide whether a website designed with the technique of chunk or scroll would work better. It's a technique commonly used, but I never noticed it before.

Chapter 2 was quite satisfying. Kilian has not disappointed me yet!

Ben and Jerry's?!?!?! ... I wish.

"I have a hard time focusing on a website if many words are misspelled. The credibility of the site is completely lost to me."

What you just said is how many people view Wikipedia.
Proper spelling and good grammar are a rarity on Wiki, but many turn to it for research information.
I on the other hand won't automatically assume the site isn't credible, I just figure that someone who edited the site just accidentally looked over the errors. In one of the chapters, Kilian explained that many people will overlook errors on a monitor because of the low color settings(or whatever it is called).

So, basically, I cut people a break.

Daniella Choynowski said:

Proper grammar denotes that you took time to create your work. People want to read something that is well thought-out. Then again, I take time to write out my blogs and still make mistakes every one in a while. That's part of the problem of editing your own work: the same eyes are trying to catch mistakes. This is the reason we have copy-editors in the journalism profession. The paper needs to look credible, because people turn to the news to get the truth.

Jed Fetterman said:

I think that part of the reason that I have such trouble reading on the internet is the fact that it is so easy to notice mistakes. A typo is like receiving a root canal. I also think that I have an arrogance when using the internet; I feel that if the person was a "good" writer, then he or she would not be posting a blog. It is a prejudice that I have since lost while taking this class.

Alex Hull said:

I do see the point that both of you are making. My comment about misspelled words does seem a little harsh and the way I phrased it takes it further than I meant to. The credibility is not completely lost but I do become more suspicious of the site. I think that's the best way of putting my thoughts. Thanks for pointing that out.

I agree with you, Jed, in the fact that seeing typos makes the computer-screen reading even harder to read. I can't stand typos in books, and I feel that they have no place in website writing either.

But since the typos are much easier to overlook on a computer, I do see the point in giving internet writers a bit of leeway.

I think you made a good point in saying that you don't see internet writers as "real" and "good" writers but I'm glad you changed your mind.