HyperText ... Not all what I thought.

Because the creative hypertext we have been dealing with in class is all similar to story form, that is what I was expecting within the sites I chose from the Electronic Literature Collection Volume One site. That was not at all the case. The different creative sites I visited were all very different. They all involved different sorts of creative ideas using text and the web.

Stud Poetry
Stud Poetry, by Marko Niemi, is an interesting take on poker. Words take the place of numbers on the cards. Words such as nature, infinite, and balsam can now be found on the cards. You play just as you would play poke, betting, calling, raising, and folding, hoping to win the hand. The people you play with can include Charles Baudelaire, Arthur Rimbaud, and Paul Verlaine.

I found this game really interesting because it emphasizes the importance of words. Words hold the power that numbers often do.

Carving in Possibilities
This site focuses on the face of Michaelangelo's David. The interaction starts with the introduction "Mouse slowly to carve out your existence ... and remember where you put your ghosts." The player is to slowly move the mouse over the blurry face of David to find new phrases and to slowly reveal David's sculpted face.

I liked this creative hypertext because of the phrasing used: 
"Did they keep you company in polyphonic harmony?"
"ancient bodies compressed in calcite structures"
"How do you know this David did not lie?"

The wording seemed so poetic and striking.

Inanimate Alice, Episode 1: China
This site was a pretty straight-forward story. After a few sentences, a button would appear to click through to the next part of the story. It told the story of a little girl who lived with her parents in China. She and her mother go to look for the father when he gets lost.

I didn't much like this because there was not much interaction. The user clicks to go on to the next page and that is pretty much it. At one point, the user cannot move on until he or she "takes a picture" of each flower that Alice wants to. After images of the four flowers are captured on Alice's little communication device/game player, the user is able to click to the next part of the story. 

I, You, We
I loved this site. While very simple, this page could be explore for a long time. The user of the site seems to be in an infinite cube in which there are many, many words. The words I, you, and we randomly fill the space. The rest of the space is filled with other words. All of these words are striking because they seem to be able to describe the user.

Stir Fry Texts
The idea of this site is very interesting. As you move the mouse over the words, the words seem to spasm, and then they change. A new piece of writing is created with each move of the mouse. There are five different stir fry texts, Log, Spastext, Blue Hyacinth, Correspondence, and Divine Mind Fragment Theater. Each seperate page contains the same idea with different writings.

I really liked this page and I'd like to spend more time with it. It was fun to roll my mouse quickly over the entire text, read what appeared, and repeat.

Overall, I found some of these to be really interesting. Of the five I looked at, only two were interesting enough to play for more than a few minutes. More on that in my next blog =]

Back to the original assignment.