That's just too dang personal!

"As soon as people realize you're asking for more than you need, they feel completely justified in lying to you."
Don't Make Me Think, Steve Krug

It's an interesting concept to be sure and a very plausible one. If website designers ask for too much information, users filling out the forms will not feel wrong in fudging the information. They very well might fill in complete bogus information. People don't like offering up more personal things than they have to. Krug reminds us to not fall into it.

Ask for fewer information. If you don't really really need it, don't ask for it. The more fields a user has to fill out, the worse. The less likely they will fill any of it out.

Another reminder not to make your page too flashy: Don't make your page too flashy!! I know Krug has mentioned this more than once in the book, but it's worth a few mentions. People don't like too much flash. Give them the information they are looking for, straight up.

I like the letters Krug included in this chapter. While I don't think they are for actual use, I think a lot of head honchos could benefit from a letter like this. For the purpose of the book, it was an interesting way to present the information Krug was trying to get across.

I liked this book. For purposes of a book for class, I loved this book. It was entertaining, informative, and quite different. Thank you Krug. Thank you.

Others final comments...

Daniella Choynowski said:

The fact that Krug wrote like he probably talks held my interest throughout almost the entire book. When I was reading "Don't Make Me Think", I felt like I was having a conversation with the author. I've had to read a lot of books these past two years. Other than reading the Twilight books, I haven't read for pleasure since coming to college. It was nice to read something that was both entertaining and informative at the same time.

I think Krug uses this writing style to draw people to his books. It's a good way to make money, educate people, and gain customers. His style is simple to understand and doesn't make the reader have to think hard about what he's trying to say. All of his points are fleshed out, but still brief, and punctuated with funny quotes and digressions.

Jed Fetterman said:

The first thing I thought of in this section was how I always feel almost violated when I am forced to give out more personal information than I am comfortable with. I just always wonder why the website needs my ss# for a routine user account.