Nature of Mystic Geography

"How does Nature deify us with a few and cheap elements! Give me health and a day, and I will make the pomp of emperors ridiculous. The dawn is my Assyria; the sun-set and moon-rise my Paphos, and unimaginable realms of faerie; broad noon shall be my England of the senses and the understanding; the night shall be my Germany of mystic philosophy and dreams." - Ralph Waldo Emerson, Nature, Chapter III: Beauty

It was truly interesting to read Emerson's Nature.  Although, I must admit it was quite a confusing ride.  I worked together with a partner to try to figure this out, the geographic locations, but after much searching we were able to come up with this:

1. Dawn is the start of a new day. Assyria was a strong kingdom back in "Old Testament" times of religion that would practically swallow whole other nations. (Thanks to Dr. Leap for teaching me that in FRS!)
2. Sun-set and moon-rise usually refer to the most passionate times of day with the contrasting colors. Paphos is a city on the island of Cyprus in which the citizens worship Aphrodite, the Greek goddess of love and beauty.
3. Broad noon is the time of day when the sun casts direct shadows on objects so that we are unable to see their shadows unless we are standing directly underneath of them. England is the center of knowledge, where such influential people as Shakespeare, Winston Churchill, Margaret Thatcher, etc., are from.
4. Night is mysterious and misunderstood. Germany, throughout history, especially during World Wars I and II, has been a location filled with mystery as to why they chose to follow through with the decisions they did.

Interesting, isn't it? Emerson was somehow able to capture human emotion through locations and times of day. How appropriate and yet under-thought of.