There's No Place Like Home

"Only by leaving "home" and traveling to his real home can he find his real self." - Thomas C. Foster, How to Read Literature Like a Professor, Chapter 19

This is sort of how I felt coming back to campus after this past Fall Break.  The weekend truly did not exist to me, and I felt as though I really did not fit in like I used to at home.  I wanted nothing more than to come back to campus and go back to living my day-to-day routine with the ability to somewhat manage my homework and clubs and keep a small amount of social life in addition to that.

This is definitely the same with characters in literature.  Take, for example, Lily Bart in The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton.  Lily strives so much to maintain in a high social class, but she, meanwhile, wonders what it would be like in a lower class with a true love in her life.  Perhaps if she would have tried to reach that other "home" she would have lived to experience it.

I think Lily Bart is a good representation of this idea. Her fear of what she might find out while living like those of the lower class is what kept her back. Fear that she might actually find happiness I suppose. Therefore rather than sacrificing a bit of her security she went on living in a world, although well known to her, alien to her inner being.