The Sweet Taste of Victory

"How sweet it would have tasted,
Just a drop!" (Dickinson, Victory Comes Late, lines 5-6)

I feel like this quote is saying that victory would have been nice sooner, rather than later.  Victory always tastes sweeter the quicker it's won.  Bloodshed would have been less, live lost would be fewer.  Families could have been reunited faster and more parents wouldn't have lost children, but such are the costs of battle.  Unfortunately, we cannot say exactly how long something like war will be, but can only hope that it's resolved as soon as possible.  I know this idea is still true today, with the war going on in Iraq.  I think an idea like that transcends every generation.

I agree. I think the way that the applications of poems change over time is kind of fascinating. Dickinson, as Monteiro said, was writing about the Civil War but as you mentioned, it still applies today with the Iraq War. It is a shame that the soldiers who died will never get a chance to see the change that they fought so arduously for.

Juliana Cox said:

I agree that war is something that we can not put a time table to. Many soldiers give up their lives fighting toward the common goal and it is a shame that many of those soldiers do not get the chance to taste and live through the victory they made come about.

Juliana Cox said: