« The Jeweller's Shop | Main | Do we rape the rapist? »

200 Word Reflection

Wojtyla, The Jeweller's Shop -- Drama as Literature (EL 250)

“Love is a constant challenge, thrown to us by God, thrown, I think, so that we should challenge fate (53)”.
Karol Wojtyla defined love better than anything I have ever read and perhaps ever will. Love is “a melody played on all the strings of the heart (34)”. It is “a kaleidoscope of waves and situations full of attraction.” It is “one of the greatest dramas of human existence.” Just when one thinks they have “reached the limits of existence and wrested all its secrets from it”, they have not yet even “touched it (39)”. Love “cannot be a single moment (41)”.
The significance of the jeweller’s shop, the mirror, and the ring were perfect symbols of love and understanding. The jeweller is like this godly man who sees into couple’s souls when gazing into the shop. He does not just measure fingers and assist in picking out the very best wedding ring, but understands relationships more than a passerby can know. When Anna tries to sell her wedding ring back to the jeweller, his divine personality comes through. "Your husband must be alive - in which case neither of your rings, taken separately, will weigh anything - only both together will register. My jeweller's scales have this peculiarity that they weigh not the metal but man's entire being and fate."
I believe Rachel and I felt the same way about this play. Wojtyla’s romantic explanations of what love is and quotes about seeing the world touched us more than anything we’ve read so far in class. However, I didn’t understand why Christopher and Monica didn’t see what Teresa, Andrew, and Anna saw in the jeweller.

Posted by AmandaNichols at September 18, 2005 03:01 PM

I too enjoyed the quotes on love. Most of the plays we have read so far implicate all of the negative sides of relationships, but this one discussed them more in depth. It talked about how love isn't necessarily going to disney land every day, but has its ups and downs. I found myself highlighting quotes because I liked them, not just necessarily for the class.

Posted by: David Denniner at September 18, 2005 03:37 PM

Me too. I absolutely loved some of the quotes because Wojtyla was able to put such emotion into such perfect words.

Posted by: Amanda at September 18, 2005 05:34 PM