« | Main | Persecution »

Sophocles, Oedipus the King (Finish) -- Drama as Literature (EL 250)

Oedipus: From what did you save me from?
Messenger: Your ankles should tell you that.

I believe this is the point in the play where the audience figures out that Oedipus was the baby that Jocasta and Laois got rid of years ago to try and save them from the profecy. Yet Oedipus still doesn't realize that he has killed his father and married his mother. Also, I think it is ironic that Oedipus believes this messenger has saved him, but in reality Oedipus was doomed since the day he was "saved" by this man.

Posted by AmandaNichols at September 27, 2005 04:42 PM

I agree with you Amanda, or sped shall i say, on that Oedipus was doomed from the first day of his life. Even if the messenger would have kept him as his own, I still think it would have ended up the same way.

Posted by: Denamarie at September 27, 2005 06:08 PM

Poor guy would have been better off never having been born.

Posted by: Kayla Sawyer at September 27, 2005 10:29 PM

I agree as well. It all comes back to fate which I know a few people have written about in their blogs.

Posted by: Danielle at September 28, 2005 12:27 AM

Danielle, I think that fate was a big topic in many Greek plays. They seemed to think that their lives were in the hands of the gods and whatever was god's will would happen. It's amazing though because they would always find a way to blame it on the god's will.

Amanda, I think that Oedipus still doesn't know that he killed his father at this point in the play. However, it's kind of shady that he doesn't put 2 and 2 together. Another thing is that he solves a riddle here. I think the riddle theme throughout the whole play is a little sketchy. After all, he defeated the sphinx anyway. Sped!

Posted by: Andy LoNigro at September 28, 2005 02:28 AM