« Dead Man Walking | Main | Stupid Soldiers »

Creeeeeeeepy

Lindsay-Abaire, Fuddy Meers -- Drama as Literature (EL 250)

I definitly like this play a lot. It really reminded me of the movie 50 First Dates. There were times, okay maybe like most of the play, that I was really creeped out by the characters and thier actions. "The Limping Man" is so sketchy. I thought he was creepy just from reading about the characters in the beginning. His description is: "about 40, a limping, lisping, half-blind, half-deaf man with secrets". Weeirrrd. And then the first line in the play from him is him coming out from under the bed....I was totally creeped out.

I found the play sad, also, especially at the end. The entire play had this comical feel to it and then as they are driving home Clair's husband and son are like begging her to stay awake so they could have "just a couple more minutes". Awww.

Gertie's speech problem really bugged me throughout the play. I found it quite annoying to have to keep looking up what she was trying to say in the back of the book. At some points in conversation, however, I laughed out loud at the relatives poking fun at her speech problem and Claire's amnesia. I know, I am a horrible person, hah.

I'm curious to know why the play is about "funny mirrors"? Anyone have any ideas?

Posted by AmandaNichols at October 3, 2005 08:38 PM

You know when you're at a fair, and they have mirrors that distort what you look like? I think that the title of the play is referring to those... All of the characters in the play have a really strange side to them, and like "funny" mirrors portray, a distorted sense of reality.

Posted by: David Denninger at October 4, 2005 10:54 AM

David you stole my comment! haha just kidding. i acutally told this to amanda in our bathroom. Amanda, you know i said this first.

Posted by: Denamarie at October 4, 2005 12:01 PM

Haha, I know I know. Thanks guys.

Posted by: AmandaNichols at October 4, 2005 03:24 PM

That's a good question Amanda. And David that definitely seems like a plausible answer. All of the characters really do have a different view about what happened and also what should be done about it. None of them have a good sense of reality whether it is because of trauma from the past, or just being doped up on drugs. (Actually, it is even more weird is that Kenny is actually more clear-headed than other characters, like Millet and the Limping Man, despite being high the whole time. It is amazing how our experiences can affect us mentally.)

Anyway, you know how carnival mirrors are always blurry and unclear...that is sort of how Claire's memory is, blurry and unclear. At first she doesn't remember much at all, but little bits do come back to her; they are just fuzzy up until the end. So maybe the title is indicative of that too.

Posted by: Lorin Schumacher at October 4, 2005 03:34 PM

I think it's called "Fuddy Meers" either because that was where she was when she lost her memory and where she had a lot of fun as a child... or like David Denniger said - because the identities of the characters are distorted. Or maybe both.

Posted by: Kayla Sawyer at October 4, 2005 07:52 PM

I didn't think of that first reason that Kayla said. That does seem like a good idea though. I agree with what everyone said. It just makes sense

Posted by: Danielle Meyer at October 5, 2005 12:08 AM