« Background | Main | I'm not gonna lie... »

PRIDE

Pride.
I am Pride; I disdain to have any parents. I am
like to Ovid's Flea; I can creep into every corner of a a
wench. Sometimes, like a periwig, I sit upon her
brow. Next, like a necklace, I hang about her neck.
Then, like a fan of feathers, I kiss her, and then tur-
ning myself to a wrought smock do what I list. But. fie,fye,
what a smell is here? I'll not speak a word more for a
king's ransom, unless the ground be perfumed, and covered
with cloth of arras.

I really liked how the Seven Deadly Sins came out and each said a line in the play. Of all of them: covetousness, envy, wrath, gluttony, sloth, and lechery, pride's lines most appealed to me. I did not understand a few of the words in Pride's lines, but after looking them up in a dictionary I had a better idea about what Pride is talking about. I think he did a good depitcion of what pride really is. Pride talks about how he can "creep into every corner of a wench", which when i looked up discovered 'wench' meant a young woman. And then Pride refuses to speak again because he doesn't like the smell of the ground and wants the area to be covered wth a tapestry.

Does anyone have any idea what Ovid's Flea is?

Posted by AmandaNichols at October 9, 2005 09:58 AM

I dont konw what Ovids Flea is, but i definetly agree with you on the Seven Deadly Sins. I feel that pride can be everyones downfall and if you dont have pride then you do not have self-confidence. I liked Prides lines alot better than all the other lines as well.

Posted by: Denamarie at October 9, 2005 11:46 AM

Amanda,

Did you ever see the movie Seven? It reminds me of this, a motion picture as a morality play. Of course, Faustus isn't a motion picture, but it is a morality play. :)

Posted by: Katie Aikins at October 9, 2005 02:52 PM

Pride seems to me to be the biggest stumbling block for people. They always think that they know where there life is supposed to take them, and they're always trying to figure things out. I feel that when we rely on our own pride, as Faustus is being tempted to do if he hasn't done so already, then we don't really trust the one that's bigger than us. I think things will work out the way they are supposed to, and when we don't trust, we are building upon our own pride. I know what you're saying Amanda!

Posted by: Andy LoNigro at October 9, 2005 08:55 PM

Katie - No I never saw it

Thanks for the input guys!

Posted by: Amanda at October 10, 2005 12:10 AM

I agree with you Amanda. It is a very good depiction of what pride is and how it affects people. Can't you like hear pride saying these things in a really cocky, self-absorbed voice?

Posted by: Chera Pupi at October 11, 2005 06:52 PM

I am playing Pride in a production of Faustus and have found that it is definitely one of the more powerful sins in the play. These comments were really helpful to hear as well. Ovid's flea is a literary refernce, as well as something that was believed back then, that a flea could get into any corner and essentially could have its way with women, sucking its blood and what not. look at John Donne's poem, "the flea"

Posted by: Lucy at November 2, 2005 01:25 PM