« The Glass Menagerie (Scenes 1-5) | Main | Selfishness »

The Glass Menagerie (Scenes 1-5)

Williams, The Glass Menagerie (Scenes 1-5) -- Drama as Literature (EL 250)

Amanda: No, I don't have secrets. I'll tell you what I wished for on the moon. Success and happiness for my precious children! I wish for that whenever there's a moon, and when there isn't a moon, I wish for it, too."

Like a lot of other plays we have read so far in EL 250, the woman in this play, Amanda, is insecure about herself and her life but does not outwardly show it. She tries to live her life and regrets through her children, Laura and Tom, however, both suffer greatly from it. I feel bad for both the children. Tom feels like he needs to fullfil the position his father failed to, and because of that he isn't living out his dreams. Laura is so pressured by her mother to go to college and become successful, when she drops out she is so afriad to tell Amanda she wanders around in the middle of winter during school time. I know Amanda wants the best for her children, but instead it really is back firing and her children that she loves so much are actually suffering from it.

I also liked this quote by Tom.

Tom: "... But here there was only hot swing music and liquor, dance halls, bars, and movies, and sex that hung in the gloom like a chandelier and flooded the world with brief, deceptive rainbows..."

I just liked how Williams describes that situation. The language is so descripitive and it makes the reader really feel like they're there, too.

Posted by AmandaNichols at October 31, 2005 12:31 PM

Amanda I feel the same way as you. I think that the mother is really trying to help her kids, but that it is hurting them inside. Do you think that she is trying to make up for her life?

Posted by: Denamarie at October 31, 2005 08:25 PM