« Last Rites | Main | Tragedy And The Common Man »

Bernhardi (Finish)

Schnitzler, Professor Bernhardi (Finish) -- Drama as Literature (EL 250)

I definitly undrerstood the last half of the play better than the first. I was able to pick out more quotes I understood and had a better idea about what was going on. I really liked this quote:

PFLUG: And why, if I may ask? All progress in the world is due to the fact that someone has had the courage to touch on matters of which the people in whose interests it lay, cried 'hands off' for centuries.

It's so true. Progress starts when someone has the guts to stand up for what they believe in.

PRIEST: Yes. In court I expressed my conviction that you had no animosity towards me - or towards that which I represent. But now I feel myself compelledto admit that in this particular case - only in this case, mind you - you acted absolutely correctly in your capacity as a doctor - that within the sphere of your dutes, just as I in mine, you could not have acted differently.

I liked the Priest's character. Like Andy said in class on Wenesday, there were really no bad or good characters. Everyone had a mixture of good and bad in them. I really respected the Priest for admitting Bernhardi was correct for not letting the Priest give the woman her last rites, after all, he was just doing his job, as was the Priest.

Posted by AmandaNichols at November 17, 2005 05:07 PM

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Bernhardi (Finish):

» Portfolio 3 (5%) from New Media Journalism @ Seton Hill University
... [Read More]

Tracked on November 26, 2005 10:50 PM

» Blogging Portfolio 3 (%5) from AndrewLoNigro
... [Read More]

Tracked on November 28, 2005 03:03 PM

I agree Amanda, they were both doing what they felt was right. I find it interesting though, the difference in the way that they held onto their opinions. The priest, who had the opinion of the whole Catholic community, probably should have stuck up for his belief more. However, he conceded because he didn't want to cause problems. Bernhardi on the other hand stuck up for his opinion strongly. I think that people in this play are getting Berhardi's arrogance confused with something else. I don't see him as being arrogant, i see it as just not having much emotion about the situation. When people see this, they suddenly say that oh, he's arrogant.

Posted by: Andy LoNigro at November 18, 2005 10:13 AM