« My Blogging Portfolio | Main | It's a hard knock life, for us »

I wish rain water was beer

Bolt, A Man for All Seasons -- Drama as Literature (EL 250)

STEWARD: ...All right so he's down on his luck! I'm sorry. I don't mind saying that: I'm sorry! Bad luck! If I'd any good luck to spare he could have some. I wish we could all have good luck, all the time! I wish we had wings! I wish rain water was beer! But it isn't...And what with not having wings but walking - on two flat feet; and good luck and bad luck just being exactly even stevens; and rain being water- don't you complicate the job by putting things in me for me to miss! I did, you know. I nearly fell for it.

I really liked this quote. Steward kind of lashes out and babbles about wanting good luck and rain water being beer. I can relate to it because everyone seems to be constantly striving and searching for luck in life. I did not understand a whole lot in the play, so I'm looking forward to reading others' blogs to help me better understand the second half of "Man for all Seasons".

Posted by AmandaNichols at November 9, 2005 08:32 PM

Boy Amanda, you really like to use the "Beer" and "Drunk" analogies, don't you. lol :)

Posted by: Andy LoNigro at November 9, 2005 10:31 PM

hahahha you shut your mouth Andy. I don't even drink! I guess the play was real hard for me to understand so I picked up easily on the analogies.

:0)

Posted by: AmandaNichols at November 10, 2005 10:24 AM

I thought you were going to say that you could really relate to this quote because you wish rain water was beer also.

Posted by: Sean Runt at November 10, 2005 04:35 PM

Yeah I also thought you were going to blog about wishing that rain water being beer as well. Don't feel bad Amanda I still haven't understood this play that much either. It's not just one part it's practically the whole play lol.

Posted by: DanielleMeyer at November 11, 2005 12:08 AM

I was in that play. You said you had trouble understanding parts of it. If you need any clarification just let me know. I believe it was the greatest play I have ever seen...although, I have never "seen" it.

Posted by: eric at October 9, 2006 10:50 AM