« I wish rain water was beer | Main | Last Rites »

It's a hard knock life, for us

Wilson, Fences -- Drama as Literature (EL 250)

I loved this play! There is so much I could have blogged about, but I really enjoyed this point in the play:

TROY: (slow, melodical) Woman....I do my best I can do. I come in here every Friday. I carry a sack of potatoes and a bucket of lard. You all line up at the dorr with your hands out, I give you the lint from my pockets. I give you my sweat and my blood. I ain't got no tears. I spent them. We go upstairs in that room at night...and I fall down on you and try to blast a hole into forever. I get up Monday morning...find my lunch on the table. I go out. Make my way. Find my strength to carry me through to the next Friday. (Pause) That's all I've got Rose. That's all I got to give. I can't give nothing else.

I absolutely loved that quote! I debated while reading the whole play about whether or not I liked Troy. I think he was a hard worker. And I liked how his first priority was always providing for his family. I believe deep down inside he was a good man. But I also felt bad for Rose. She never put herself first, she wanted to be a good mother and wife, and she was. However, she wanted more emotionally out of Troy than he was able to give. I think the work load and hard life drained him and I can even see why he wanted to escape his life filled with work and a needy family. I know cheating isn't right, but I can relate to how trapped Troy felt. Sometimes people want things from you and you really don't have it to give and it's hard for them to understand.

I also thought it was weird how Troy died- swinging the bat and smiling. Kind of creepy in a way. He relived his mistake with baseball all his life, and even stopped his son from pursuing a sport because of his own mistakes. He died while swinging a bat with an imaginary ball thrown by an imaginary pitcher. It's ironic because he imagined "Mr. Death" several times throughout the play, and there he was in his own front yard, imagining himself playing baseball and Mr. Death really did come and take him.

Posted by AmandaNichols at November 13, 2005 09:17 PM

I had a bit of trouble deciding how much I liked Troy throughout the play too, although by the end I have to say my feelings about him were more negative than positive. He seemed to care most about what was "right by him." He doesn't understand or care about what might be right for the others. He does have a lot of perspectives on things that make sense, and it is true that he wants to help in the sense that he wants to provide for his family. But only in ways that meet their physical needs. True they do need food, shelter, clothes etc., but people need love too. And that is the sort of thing he was incapable of giving as well as incapable of even recognizing that it was love that they were really asking for.

Posted by: Lorin Schumacher at November 13, 2005 11:16 PM