« Blogging Portfolio 2 (5%) | Main | Kings are born drunk. »

Love you, mom.

Samuels, Kindertransport -- Drama as Literature (EL 250)

LIL. You mean your first mother?

EVELYN. She wanted me to be hers forever.

LIL. I thought you'd forgotten her.

EVELYN. It doesn't matter. I have.

This made me want to cry. I really disliked Evelyn in the end. I cann't even begin to imagine how hard it must have been for Helga to hear her own daughter she doesn't want anything to do with her. Helga saved her daughter's life and sent her to England where she could be safe, spent like 10 years in concentration camps, comes home to find that her own flesh and blood has forgotten about her. That's rough. I think if I was Helga I'd like shoot myself. I feel so bad for the women. It made me want to call my mom up and be like "I love you!" Haha.

The fact that Helga said she wanted to keep Evelyn forever seems to anger Evelyn; however at the very end Evelyn asks Faith,

FAITH. What can I do for you? Please tell me what I can do to help?

EVELYN. Stay my little girl forever.

I think Evelyn thought at age eighteen it was too late to fix the relationship with her mother and gave up. However, that decision has haunted her throughout her whole life, no matter how much she denies it.

Posted by AmandaNichols at November 5, 2005 6:29 PM

I totally agree with you Amanda. I think that Evelyn just thought that there was no way that she was going to rebuild her relationship with her real mother. I think that it hurt her so bad remembering her mother that she thought that if she just changed everything about herself that it would help her overall. I think that i would have done the same thing. I wouldnt want to remember about the horrible past of mine.

Posted by: Denamarie at November 5, 2005 6:58 PM

I agree with you as well Amanda. I said this on Lorin blog but I think because she's been without her mother for so long that when she saw her she saw no need to stay with her since she has been taking care of herself for so long. I felt really bad for Helga as well in that part. But if she would have gone the story wouldn't have been the same. I don't think she understood why her mother sent her off (maybe because of her age) and I think that it was never really explained to her why she was there so she felt hatred or soemthing towards her mother for abandoning her and therefore made her feel like she couldn't repair the relationship they once had. It's just sad...

Posted by: Danielle Meyer at November 6, 2005 4:43 PM

Amanda,

I read this over the summer, and I know the exact feeling you had about wanting to call your mother.

It is amazing to me that she was so easy to deny her biological mother at the end, of the love that clearly (to us) the biological mother showed when she sent Eva away. In order to save her little girl, she had to send her to England. Imagine how much of a sacrifice that would be for a mother to live without her own flesh and blood and have to blindly trust another woman to raise your daughter.

Assumedly, Evelyn would think about this and want to take back her mother - I felt as this was an, "I'll show you," sort of deal: you leave me go to England to be raised by another woman, and I love her, and then, all of the sudden, you return? Clearly, Evelyn was not wise enough to accept the sacrifice made on her mother's part, or how devestating this must have been for her.

Good thoughts, Amanda.

Posted by: Katie Aikins at November 6, 2005 6:32 PM

I also feel really bad for Faith in this situation. She wants to have a link to her past, her history, her bloodline. But, she feels as if her mother has severed the possible tie and she'll never get it back. I have a friend whose whole family is German and a few generations before hers, when the war broke out, her family who had long since immigrated to the U.S. no longer practiced their native tongue. They were ashamed of what the Germans were doing so they refused to speak German any more even after keeping it up in the family for a few generations. She always wishes that they had not stopped speaking it because then she would know it fluently today. My mom feels the same way about her Italian family. She wishes they had all spoke Italian as well as English up through her generation so she could speak it.

Posted by: Lorin Schumacher at November 6, 2005 10:13 PM

I don't feel bad for Helga at all. I feel bad for evelyn. She was expected to pick up the pieces of her life and move? just like that, with out so much as an arguement? After not seeing her for so many year, building a life of her putting this tramatic event behind her and trying to start a new so she wouldn't go through everyday with the pain of her parents dying? I think she did the right thing. I think it was unreasonable for Helga to ask that. I also don't feel bad for Faith. It has no relavence to her. It isn't her tramatic past. She was not forced to leave her parents then be asked to give up her other life. Faith wouldn't be there if Eva hadn't decided not to go with Helga. But that is just the take I viewed. Great play which ever side you take!

Posted by: Max at April 2, 2007 4:18 PM