« The Glass Menagerie (Scenes 1-5) | Main | Blogging Portfolio 2 (5%) »

Selfishness

Williams, The Glass Menagerie (Finish) -- Drama as Literature (EL 250)

As soon as Amanda meets Jim, she has a half page line. All she talks about is herself and all her gentlemen callers who were "sons of planters", of course. I think she is really selfish. They say you form opinions about new people you meet in the first 30 seconds. I would hate her! The only word Jim gets out before he is cut off by another long line, is "She-".

I also found it interesting that at the end when Amanda says, "You live in a dream; you manufacture illusions", Tom immediately says "I'm going to the movies". I think Amanda has pushed both her children to be really insecure about themselves. Tom's escape is the movies, Laura's is her glass. The both live in separate worlds to escape the nagging annoyances of their mother. Finally Amanda pushed Tom to the point where he left; however, I don't think Laura will ever leave her mother's side, which is a good thing for Amanda - she'll have someone to manipulate forever.

I am a little unclear about what happens at the very end. Does Tom leave for good like his father? What is the deal with Laura blowing out candles?

Posted by AmandaNichols at November 3, 2005 11:26 AM