« 1st Blog | Main | Brrr »

January 27, 2006

Foster 19 & 20

I especially liked chapter 19 about geography mattering so much when writing a book. I found it very intersting because I would like to be an author after college, and although it seems easy, there are so many elements one has to consider when writing a novel.

I like how Foster says, "Geography can also define or even develop a character." (p.167) Characters can change dramatically merely by placing them in different settings.

I liked this chapter a lot, but it also made me dizzy thinking about all the little details I will have to consider when I begin to write a book someday

Posted by AmandaNichols at January 27, 2006 08:53 AM

I think the beauty of what Foster is talking about, is that most of this stuff (like changing the character to the geography) will happen naturally while you write. While some thought may be involved, it's easier if you "know" your characters and how they would react.

Foster says that these things translate subliminally to the reader... and I think they are somewhat subliminal to the author as well.

Posted by: Mike Rubino at January 27, 2006 09:34 AM

Great point. Often the influence of a particular event, setting, or concept is only clear after time has passed and objective observers can see how a work fits into the history of the genre.

Posted by: Dennis G. Jerz at January 27, 2006 02:03 PM