« Let me Not to the Marriage of True Minds | Main | Blogging Portfolio #1 »

Academic Article

Hácová, ''Love, Life and Death in Coleridge's Poem 'The Raven''' -- Jerz: Intro to Literary Study (EL150)

"He changed from the tempory representative of happiness and love to his traditional position: the representative of happiness and love to his traditional position: the representative of death, namely, of death out of revenge."

Normally I find academic articles dry and difficult to read, but this one was quite different than any others I've read in the past. I found it colorful and interesting to read. I thought I understood Coleridge's, "The Raven" pretty well, but it was really expained thouroughly in this academic article.

I really enjoyd the above line because when I was reading the poem I wondered why it was a raven that played the part. I always pictured ravens to symbolize evil and death, and the story was, for the most part, happy and cheerful. I liked how the author said the raven's cheerful personality was just a "temporary respresentative". "The Raven" definitiely made a lot more sense to me after reading this.

Posted by AmandaNichols at February 16, 2006 8:08 PM