« The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock | Main | Let me Not to the Marriage of True Minds »

Death, be not proud

Sonnets -- Jerz: Intro to Literary Study (EL150)

Deathe, ne not proud, though some have called thee
Mighty and dreadful, for thou art not so;

I liked this poem because it's message is that death is not something to fear. Even the "best men with thee do go". No one is immune to death. It is merely a part of life as natuaral as birth.

I also liked how Donne says we are slaves to things like "fate" and "chance", because I've always been a biggie on fate and whatever is supposed to happen will. Death is something we have no control over whatsoever, so why fear it? And Donne explains how we just "wake eternally" after we die so death really isn't the period at the end of the sentence.

Posted by AmandaNichols at February 14, 2006 12:20 AM

Amanda,
I see your point about how we are slaves to fate and chance. The first time I read the sonnet I felt that Donne was saying Death is a slave to fate and chance. Now that you point it out, I see that we really don't have power over death and that we also have no power over fate.

Posted by: Andy LoNigro at February 15, 2006 02:30 PM

Amanda,
You're on fire (not literally)! We are victims of fate and chance. Donne also pointed out that death can be reached doing bad things to other people. Death is natural but people die of the most unnatural causes.

Posted by: Kevin "Kelo The Great" Hinton at February 15, 2006 09:51 PM

Amanda I have a heard time reading this poem.. and I quoted about the chance and fate line but missed that part and went to the other words in the line. But I think your blogged helped me understand.. and they way you describe it.

Posted by: brittney aller at February 16, 2006 07:36 PM

Death is really the end result of what Donne lists... Fate and Chance (along with the actions of kings and desperate men) can bring about death in the end. Although I'm not so sure that Chance always brings about Death... but it certainly employs it more than "Playing it safe."

Posted by: Mike Rubino at February 16, 2006 08:36 PM