« Death, be not proud | Main | Academic Article »

Let me Not to the Marriage of True Minds

Sonnets -- Jerz: Intro to Literary Study (EL150)

I really enjoyed reading and analyzing this poem.

It is such a simple messge, yet Shakespeare really makes it colorful and interesting.

He explains love as "an ever-fixed mark" and as "the star to every wand'ring bark". Love is not temporary. Once you love, a part of you will always feel the same way. Kind of like, "if you don't love me now, you didn't love me then" sort of thing. It is also something almost everyone seeks in life. Finding one's soulmate is something I would think everyone would desire. I really liked this line:

Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.

I believe that is so so true. Love is a complete risk. You don't know what will happen months or even years down the road. You don't know if it will ever work out. Maybe it won't. Maybe you'll regret the time you spent together. Or maybe they'll turn out to be the one you spend the rest of your life with. How do we ever really know? We don't. Shakespeare is saying that love and it's worth are completely unknown, but taking the risk is vital.

He also explains how love is, and should not be, brief. When you commit your love to someone it should iterally be until death.

Posted by AmandaNichols at February 14, 2006 12:38 AM

Amanda,
I seemed to read this sonnet from a different angle. I read it from the angle of how love endures all things. What I think Shakespeare is trying to say with this sonnet is love is a constant work in progress. Instead of us looking for someone that fits our lifestyle, we instead have to be willing to change ourselves and give up our pride. I don't think that love is a random thing that people just accidentally run into. I think love is hard work, and it's being willing to look stupid in your own eyes for the sake of the relationship.

I really like the part of your blog that talks about taking a risk. I feel that love is a total risk.

Posted by: Andy LoNigro at February 15, 2006 02:37 PM

I agree. You always blog so intelligently. Love is commitment, through good and bad and people tend to take the easy way out nowadays. It really is a gamble sometimes.

Posted by: Erin at February 15, 2006 07:12 PM

Love is risky, Amanda. But if you dont take a risk with love, how will you ever know what real love is. I totally agree with you on your point about love. When you take vows when you get married it is till death do us part. You are to find your one true love and stick with them for eternity. I must say, Shakespeare, to me, is a master in love. I love this line, "love and it's worth are completely unknown, but taking the risk is vital." You really are unknown to love till you take the risk to find out what it is. However, you cant rush it, it is a timely thing. If you rush it, you might ruin something special. I think we basically had the same idea with this poem, but hey whats new, we always are thinking alike.

Posted by: Denamarie Ercolani at February 15, 2006 07:13 PM

I was just doing my blogging portfolio and came across this. I hadn't noticed Erin or Dena's comment, so I just wanted to say thank you!

I think you're right, Erin, about love being a gamble. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. It's not the game you play, it's the experience you get from it.

Dena, yes aren't we always thinking alike. You're right about rushing love. Sometimes the best love is one that is drug out, and if it is rushed, something very special may have been ruined. What's the hurry, right?

Posted by: AmandaNichols at February 20, 2006 09:30 PM

What is love? Is it a state of mind or a feeling? If love is either of these then in my opinion it cannot be constant through time. Shakespear seems to suggest that there is a state-of-mind component ("The marriage of true minds") in it. When you are in a relationship you reach a point in time when both of you decide that you truely love each other. This is a change in state-of-mind that is based on something (a feeling).

Everyone knows that feelings change (decay) over time: you don't feel the same intense feeling that you felt for your partner 5 years ago, do you? That magical feeling that led you to decide that you love the person dies with time. But you have control over your state-of-mind, you can decide to either quit or stay. Is true love a feeling or a state-of-mind? Isn't it supposed to be a matter of the heart?

Posted by: Simphiwe at April 2, 2006 05:16 AM

I found your comments very interesting and meaningful. I'm an italian student and what you all wrote is making my understanding of this sonnet easier. thanks a lot

Posted by: luke at November 1, 2006 09:56 AM

Whilst I like your comments, I'm not sure how accurate your interpretation is Amanda. In particular, there is nothing in this sonnet about love equating to risk. I think Andy is closer to the mark.

Posted by: brett at November 19, 2006 12:41 AM