« Three Poems | Main | The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock »

The Raven

Coleridge,''The Raven'' -- Jerz: Intro to Literary Study (EL150)

I really liked this poem. Even though it was just a raven, I felt really sorry for it. I thought it was neat how he planted the acorn that grew into the oak where his family lived. It made me think about how every action we do directly or indirectly affects another person. I also thought it was interesting that the author picked a raven as the bird. When I looked at the title, I thought the poem was going to be dark and evil; however, as I read through it, I pictured the complete opposite. I wonder why the author didn't choose a dove or any other type of bird.

Posted by AmandaNichols at February 13, 2006 12:10 PM

Amanda, I'm just curious... the ending of the poem certainly seems to fulfill your expectations that this poem be dark and evil. It is a poem that celebrates revenge, after all. Since this isn't a poem that features a dove, I think we can sort of answer your question by looking at what might support the idea of using a raven is appropriate as the central character for this poem.

Posted by: Dennis G. Jerz at February 15, 2006 09:36 AM

It is interesting when you look at the stereotype certain birds carry with them. A raven is usually dark and frightening, a vulture is looked at being opportunistic, a dove is peaceful...

But really, they are all birds. These stereotypes were attributed to them by writers and society, not necessarily the birds themselves.

Posted by: Mike Rubino at February 15, 2006 10:06 PM

It is interesting your analysis and a good question about why he used a raven but that gives the turn out to the poem if the writter would of include a dove or any other peaceful bird it wouldn't of created such a great a poetry.

Posted by: Sandy Mendoza at March 22, 2006 02:18 PM